Friday 24 March 2023

Siskins Galore

 

There is something about birdwatching that I find so rewarding: learning a simple thing, like a species contact call, opens a new world. Although they are regular wintering birds, I don't think Siskins are becoming more common around Hull. It is just that once I learned the beautiful soft, sad 'pew! call, then I am seeing them everywhere, and this year I have really enjoyed watching Siskins. 

Siskin feeding on Italian Alder this afternoon.

In the depths of the winter, when days are gloomy and cold, Siskin flocks rove around the city looking for Alders. They feed on both Common and Italian Alders, clinging from the cones sometimes upside down, deftly extracting seeds with their pointy bills. In quiet areas they might come down and feed on seeds on the ground.

In the last few weeks, the chattering singing chorus of Siskins have alerted me to flocks feeding in Lombardy Poplars in three different locations around the city, possibly as the seeds in Alders are becoming depleted. I was intrigued as I thought these catkins were pollen catkins. Lombardy Poplars are male clones, which produce red pollen catkins. Being wind pollinated I didn't think they had nectar (which would be odd for a finch to eat anyway), but I've never heard of a bird feeding on pollen. What are they feeding on then? Insects, possibly aphids, is a possibility, but it appears unlikely so early in the year.

Male Siskin feeding on Lombardy poplar catkins.

So, a bit like the Goldfinches feeding on lichen covered branches, I don't have an answer to what Siskins are feeding on, but Lombardy Poplars are plentiful around the city parks and playing fields, where they are planted as wind breakers, so hopefully they will stay around a little longer.

Please do let me know in the comments if you know the answer to the mystery!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.